Monday, January 24, 2011

HP Laserjet 5L repair

Some time ago, I received an HP 5L laserjet printer from a not so computer savvy friend. I am not sure if she dumped it cause she thought it was broken or just was time for an upgrade.

First thing I did was to get a serial cable through Freecycle.org
Second thing I did was to check the toner and remove the protective tape that was partially removed!!?
Third thing I did was to put some Vaseline on the gray rubber roller that is used to suck paper sheets.
After about a year of little use, I needed to print some long documents. Then the printer started getting funky. It would print some pages ok, it would print some pages half and the other half on the next page, it would not print some pages at all or print some illegible and HUGE fonts.

I was in the process of looking for a new printer focusing on the Lexmark e260d mono or the HP CP1215 color and then by pure chance I read the article in wikipedia about 5L printers. It said this printer was facing some issues due to low memory. It has only 1MB of ram installed and that can be extended to 8+1. An other solution was to reduce printing resolution from 600x600 to 300x300.
After searching online for a suitable DRAM memory module with most of them costing above 20-30$ which is very expensive considering I wanted to buy 8 Megabytes of memory for a 16 year old printer, I came across and Egay offer who sold me an 8Mb and a 16MB dram modules for 3.50£.
I do not suppose the 16MB will be working, or if it does it will only see half of it. I am not either sure that the 8MB will work, cause on the printer says needs a 5V dram and on the actual dram card was no voltage inscription, nor was I able to find such info online for the card itself of the machine the chap who sold it to me used.
Oh well if it breaks, I will decide which laser printer to buy from the two mentioned above.

No comments:

Post a Comment