Wednesday, May 5, 2010

How to minimize carbon footprint and save money in the process?


Things I am doing
  1. I turn off TV, video, microwave and all standby appliances.
  2. I unplug wall chargers.
  3. I use sockets with switches to make the above actions easier.
  4. I use a 30 year old bicycle for everyday commute.
  5. I use high efficiency LED and CFL light bulbs
  6. I use a pressure cooker.
  7. I use as high efficiency appliances as possible.
  8. I turn off the lights whenever not needed.
  9. I live in a house with good insulation.
  10. I do not buy extra food that eventually goes to trash.
  11. I use a list when going for shopping, buying only what I need and not what they brainwash me to buy that eventually ends in trash.
  12. I don't eat a lot of meat.
  13. I use public transport when needed.
  14. I don't own a car. If I buy one, will either be small and diesel or have a very high mpg. Probably though not hybrid, most probably second hand.
  15. I find my furniture in the disposed furniture of others.
  16. I use extensively www.freecycle.org
  17. I buy and sell second hand of whatever shit I think I need or not need on ebay, gummtree, craigslist and elsewhere.
  18. I recycle as much as possible.
  19. I use reusable bags.
  20. I buy organic fruits and vegetables.
  21. I repair shit rather than just dispose them.
  22. I take navy showers.
  23. I use as less hot water as possible when using electrically or fossil fuel heated water.
  24. I use high efficiency combi boiler or even better
  25. Use solar water heater for hot water usage.
  26. Reuse - Repurpose. Glass jars for example. Even if I do not need them, in Freecycle there is someone who does.
  27. Refills. Instead of throwing away spray/soap/detergent bottles and buying new ones, keep the old and refill them with bulk refills. Same with printer cartridges. Refill them on my own.
  28. Rechargeable batteries. Lots of them, for everything around the house that uses batteries. Cheaper in the long run, less waste in the longer run.
  29. Use solar water heater for hot water usage.


Also Wired has an interesting article on using alternatives to common household chemicals.


Things I need to do:

Get an induction stove.
Get vacuum tubes to for space heating.
When I do replace my current appliances, get hot water fill washing machine and dishwasher.
(If I do get one, get a diesel car)

No comments:

Post a Comment