Thursday, June 30, 2011

Fujitsu lifebook AH530/GFX E-4 short review

What I realized after buying my new laptop and comparing it with the old one from a ECS, was that the screen being 15.6'' in diagonal length, was a bit shorter in height and longer. That to me smelled like a scam, so the ruler got out of the drawer and measured:

the old laptop screen is: 33,3x20,8 = 692,64 cm^2

the new laptop screen is: 34,5x19,2 = 662,4cm^2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so God damn the manufacturer for reducing the overall viewing area!

the other thing I noticed was a large area underneath the laptop for upgrades. Or so I thought cause when the screwdriver that got out of the drawer finished unscrewing and the plastic was removed, I was disappointed to find out that there was not even one spare expansion slot! :(
There was only one half size miniPci housing the wireless card, two ram slots, the CPU (upgradeable thank God) and the GPU.
Next to this is the hard disk bay and NOTHING ELSE!
I mean ok, there may not be lots of applications using the miniPci except the wireless modules, but come on, build your devices a bit future proof damn it!

Some parts of the notebook seem well built while some other seem rather cheapo
On the plus side is the keyboard, that I kinda like it, although it has no internal light.

One more bizarre fact. In the BIOS menu in the boot options, there is the option to boot from a floppy disk drive!!! A DAMN FLOPPY DRIVE!
I haven't used a floppy since 2003 when i got rid of my collection of 486 DX40 and pentium mmx desktops (both were donations of kind people). WHY THE HECK WOULD IN 2011 A LAPTOP HAVE SUCH AN OPTION?!

One more disadvantage, it has a fundamental design flaw the power cord input is 7-8mm next to the DVD player. It is also not straight, but has a right angle with the cable. blocking the DVD drive...

No comments:

Post a Comment