Sunday, January 10, 2010

Sony Ericsson C510 = A crappy Phone, AVOID IT AT ALL COSTS

I must admit I don't have Sony Ericsson mobile phones in a high esteem. The reason for that is mainly the usage of proprietary memory format the memory stick and its variations. As if the world didn't have enough formats and needed one more.
I got as a Christmas present the Sony Ericsson C510. Not thrilled by the choice of Santa Claus who didn't bother to ask me if I had any preferences, I started using it, since my other phone a Nokia 6500 slide, is having some problems with its screen. (I also dislike mobiles with moving parts, but this one was very nice and came free).

Back to the C510. Within the first 5 days using it, I found two problems, one very annoying. If the battery is taken out of the phone even for a few seconds, the date on the phone resets to the 00-01-2000 and has to be set every damn time. The other problem was after I opened the camera door to take a pic. The screen split in two equal halves and inverted itself being only readable in mirror. Holly shit. Same problem my Nokia has after 3 years of use, from the beginning!!
















Another issue is that not all camera features are compatible with each other. If you want to zoom while taking 3, 2 or even 1 megapixel photos you are out of luck.
Adding to that the autofocus feature is relatively nice but quite slow which strips it of the usefulness it could have.
Moreover it has a facebook function, meaning it can uploas pic to your account. Personally I can not think of a less desirable function and they don't even support Ebay.

I get the impression that Sony is trying to make money using the Cyber-shot logo without actually trying hard enough.

Bottom line AVOID IT AT ALL COSTS

Update, 29/7/18

I got a bag of old mobile phones to play with from a friend, and among them there were a few SONY models. In one of those, he had forgotten a micro memory stick. The moment I saw it I was thinking how I despised SONY phones for actually using proprietary memory formats. And now what a coincidence, I happened to read this post from the past with the same basic thoughts...!

No comments:

Post a Comment