Sunday, February 23, 2014

Ender's game

I watched Ender's Game a couple of nights ago. Having read the book half a lifetime ago, the movie felt empty. It felt as if they gutted the book to fit in the movie which might be understandable in some way, there were some unnecessary altered plot points.
It also felt that they could easily have made a series out of it, rather than just a single film.

Apart from that it was well executed, though I would prefer more space "simulation" fights, as well as the command school being on the asteroid Eros, rather than "near the aliens home planet". That was an necessary plot twist which I am not sure what exactly it succeed in the overall movie, apart from adding a cryochamber of sorts, again I do not understand why. Also Bonzo's death should have been permanent. No robotic surgery and no freeview of that was really relevant.
Also while the transparent battle school was interesting I also found it quite distracting. How could one fight in such low light conditions with all that amazing views outside! Not me for sure. I always imagined it as a hollow sphere non transparent and with a relative luminosity coming from the walls and the stars. The transparency seems distracting to me.



having said that I recently found out about Orson's Scot Cards antigay opinions which honestly left me with a bitter taste in my mouth. I am not gay, and I cant see why gays should be persecuted.

No comments:

Post a Comment