Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Sapphire x1550 cooling fan fix

some time ago I boutght second hand a Sapphire x1550 AGP card for my desktop.

The fan failed immediately and since the seller washed his hands from his sins, and the card was a major improvement to my aging desktop I had to replace the fan. Unable to find a similar one online fairly easylly, I dug up from my parts box an Intel fan originaly supposed to cool intel processors, ( I dont even recall where I got it from) disconnected the original fan along with the plastic cooler cover and sticker revealing the copper cooler and put the new fan on it.

I must admit I was extremely lucky since the three legs had a perfect tight fit with in the fins of the cooler (the fourth unfortunately had to be
cut off since it was interfering with a couple of capacitors) connected on the mainboard and off it went. The card was as cool as morning dew.

I could replace the conector to draw current from the card itself but left it for another day.

I should take a better photo of the whole card but I cant be bothered at the moment

No comments:

Post a Comment