Monday, August 26, 2013

PORT COVER COVER FOR TOUGHBOOK CF-18 review

So some time ago I bought second hand a Panasonic Toughbook CF-18. It is rather dated by todays standards but works flawlesly so far. So along the way 2 of the port covers were ripped apart and gaping holes were left to remind me of the fact.
I was searching every now and then for replacements on ebay and elsewhere but their price was prohibitive taking into account the age of the laptop.
A few days back I found on ebay replacements for a reasonable 5$ per piece. I bought the ones I needed and waited. It is a pity it takes almost a month for items to reach Greece from China, even after Piraeus port was bought from Chinese company. Eventually I received them and today I installed them in my laptop.

Something was amiss. The covers did not fit tight on the ports. The reason for that as I realised was (probably) cheap manufacturing.
The ones I bought were lacking a signigficant feature as shown in the photo below:
The photo addmitedly was not taken with a steady hand, but the difference is obvious. The part of the cover that is supposed to make the cover water resistant (if not waterproof) is ommited on the cheap copy. I am obviously refering to the thin grooves that run around the cover at the part that inserts in the port.

So lesson learnt I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment