Thursday, December 8, 2011

ZTE blade user experience and problem solving update

Having a ZTE Blade for about a year now, I was using Swedish Spring from the begining as "install and forget". Very happy with it, both the device and the custom rom.
A few months ago however, as I plugged it in to charge overnight only to realize in the morning that it didn't charge. After cleaning the battery data and using 2 different chargers I thought that I had a faulty charger. And stop thinking about it. However browsing modaco yesterday I found a thread discussing the same problem. I haven't used that charger since, though I will give it a try.
The chargers I currently use is a second orange san fran charger similar to the first one, and a samsung H1. Both seem to charge the phone just fine.

The second problem I encountered recently was sudden phonecall hang ups. About 40-50 seconds into a call the phone would hang up without any obvious reason. I thought there was time for an upgrade and so I upgraded from Swedish spring gen1 to Moldovan mile high also gen1. Prior to the update I backed up all data possible. Astro for apps, call logs backup & restore for calls, sms backup & restore for sms's and my root backup for everything. One can never be too safe...
After the back up, I updated the rom. Wiped cache and it booted normally. Then the problem egun. Immediately after inserting the sim lock code the phone showed an error message

"The process com.android.phone has stopped unexpectedly" press ok and after ok I was sent back to sim lock screen to insert the pin number. Damn! A quick look online showed a couple ofthreads mentioning wipe all data/system restore as a solution. So the phone was factory reset through clockwork and rebooted. It Worked!!!! It kept working even after restoring all the backed up data amd apps.

We will see how it goes.

On other news I absolutely love some features from every rom I've tried and I don't like other features so much. I wish there was an easy breazy tool to make my own custom rom choosing which apps and features to include and which to abolish. As far as I know there is no such app so far. Pity. The once upon a time blog rom would have been a hit!

No comments:

Post a Comment