Monday, May 21, 2012

GEYER HELIOS CFL light bulb Gu10 reveiw (verdict:not good)

Dissecting a Gu10 GEYER HELIOS CFL light bulb. 

This is a 11W 230V 50/60Hz 2700K 80mA bulb with CE indication. A brief search about the company reveals nothing of interest. I suppose a Geyer.com would be a nice website, but there is none relating to this brandname. Anyway, I bought and used 3 of those CFL bulbs for about a year. Then about two months ago, one of them died. And a couple of weeks later a second one followed suit. I am now waiting for the third one to give up spirit.
I don't fully comprehend why. 
On their PCB there is no visible damage. No blown capacitor, or dark spots indicating thermal stress. Except a dark spot on the CFL itself which from experience I know that darkens over time. 
In any case I wanted to express my utter disappointment on these products and I would not recommend using them. 

A bit about usage. These bulbs were used in the bathroom and the frequency of on-off use was maybe above average. But even so, their lifecycle seems far too low to be accepted by any standard.

Now that I think of it, I wonder if the whole CFL bulb thing is a bubble-green-scam since I constantly see the specialized CFL collection buckets full with such lamps. Essentially getting freaking expensive light bulbs with very short life span. But then again that thought can't be backed up without proper usage data.
















No comments:

Post a Comment